St. Paulus church

The church, built at the beginning of the 13th century and visible from afar, with its massive church tower, is located in the middle of the town. The mixture of Romanesque round arch and Gothic pointed arch elements is striking. It is therefore a characteristic building from the transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic period. The previously octagonal spire was completely rebuilt in its current square shape in 1840 after being severely damaged by a storm. The church tower clock was made by a Doberan court clockmaker in 1841 as a one-hand clock that only shows the full hour. Two sundials are visible on the south side, indicating the exact local time. St. Paul's Church is the first all-brick church in the whole of north-east Germany. The rectory was first mentioned in a document from 1276. The town fires destroyed it several times. The Oberland architect Carl Severin designed the new rectory. The construction period from spring 1847 to fall 1848 was very short for those times. The economical way in which the building was constructed is still visible in the interior today. The timber had already been installed elsewhere, as can be seen from the visible beams in the parish center.

The church service takes place regularly on Sundays at 10:00 am.

Contact

Pferdemarkt 2
18258 Schwaan
Tel.: +49 (0)3844 813718
E-Mail: schwaan@elkm.de

Go to provider website Start navigation via Google Map Arrival via local transport